THIS PAGE CONTAINS 2019 EVENT INFORMATION.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Great Columbia Crossing 10K. In order for our event to take place each year, we must fill more than 80 volunteer shifts. All volunteers at this event must be 18 or older. Check out the information below to find the volunteer application, what to plan for during your shift, perks and more!
Pre-Race Volunteers: October 10-12, 2019
We need volunteers to help with packet pick up or race set up the three days prior to the event, October 10-12.
Race Day Volunteers: October 13, 2019
On the morning of the race, we need volunteers to help with packet pick up, shuttle bus loading, distributing water & snacks at the finish line, post-race cleanup and more! Volunteers will be stationed at the starting line at the Dismal Nitch Rest Area, the Port of Chinook shuttle stop or the finish line (near the Red Building at the Port Astoria).
RACE DAY VOLUNTEERS CANNOT PARTICIPATE IN THE RACE ITSELF.
Whenever possible, we try to honor requests for certain volunteering roles, but please be flexible. Sometimes assignments can change at the last minute. We will send you reminders and any necessary last-minute volunteer information via email prior to the event.
If you picked up a paper volunteer application from our offices, please submit your completed application to the Volunteer Coordinator...
- - Via email
- - Via USPS: Astoria-Warrenton Area Chamber of Commerce, Attn: Volunteer Coordinator, PO Box 176, Astoria, OR 97103
- - In person: Astoria-Warrenton Area Chamber of Commerce, 111 West Marine Dr., Astoria, OR 97103
ORIENTATION IS FOR PACKET PICK UP VOLUNTEERS ONLY.
We host a volunteer orientation for new and returning Packet Pick Up volunteers on the Wednesday prior the event. During the orientation, Chamber staff members will train you on how to use our participant check-in system and help answer any questions you might have about your volunteering role.
- - Who: New & returning Packet Pick Up volunteers
- - What: Volunteer Orientation
- - Where: Astoria-Warrenton Area Chamber of Commerce (Admin Building), 111 W. Marine Drive, Astoria
- - When: Wednesday, October 9 – 12:15 p.m. OR 5:15 p.m. (same information presented each time)
- - Why: To provide information about your volunteering shift
- - Wear comfortable shoes – Many of the volunteer roles require being on your feet some or most of the time.
- - Dress for the outdoors – We've seen all different kinds of weather at the Great Columbia Crossing over the years. So our motto is, be prepared! Check the forecast ahead of time and wear layers of clothing to ensure you'll be ready for cold, wet or nice weather.
- - Eat before your shift – There’s not always time for a snack break during your volunteer shift, so fill up your tummy ahead of time.
- - Check in – If your shift is at the Dismal Nitch Rest Area on race day, please check in with Regina Willkie. If your shift is at the Port of Astoria on race day, please check in with Barbi England.
- - Smile!
Perks of Being a Volunteer
As a thank you for giving us some of their time, each of our fantastic volunteers will receive the following:
- - 2019 Great Columbia Crossing t-shirt
- - Great Columbia Crossing branded water bottle
- - 5 Clam Bucks (check out our Clam Bucks Page to see where you can spend them in town)
- - Entry into our "Spoil a Volunteer" Drawing for fun prizes (one entry per shift worked)
We genuinely appreciate each and every person who volunteers at the Great Columbia Crossing 10K!
Have questions specifically about volunteering? Email the Volunteer Coordinator or call 503-325-6311.