VOLUNTEER SIGN UP WILL BEGIN ON AUGUST 1, 2018.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Great Columbia Crossing 10k. In order for our event to take place each year, we must fill roughly 80 volunteer shifts. All volunteers at this event must be 18 or older. Check out the information below to find the volunteer application, what to plan for during your shift and perks!
Pre-Race Volunteers: October 11-13, 2018
We need volunteers to help with packet pick up or race set up the three days prior to the event, October 11-13.
Race Day Volunteers: October 14, 2018
On the morning of the race, we need volunteers to help with packet pick up, shuttle bus loading, distributing water & snacks at the finish line, post-race cleanup and more! Volunteers will be stationed at the starting line at the Dismal Nitch Rest Area, the Port of Chinook shuttle stop or the finish line (near the Red Building at the Port Astoria).
RACE DAY VOLUNTEERS CANNOT PARTICIPATE IN THE RACE ITSELF.
Whenever possible, we try to honor requests for certain volunteering roles, but please be flexible. Sometimes assignments can change at the last minute. If you sign up using the paper form, you will be contacted with your final volunteering schedule prior to the event. If you sign up using the online system, you will receive reminder emails about your volunteering shift(s).
ONLINE SIGN UP COMING SOON
If you picked up a paper volunteer application from the Chamber, please submit your completed application to the Event Coordinator...
- - Via email
- - Via fax: 503-325-9767
- - Via USPS: Astoria-Warrenton Area Chamber of Commerce, Attn: Event Coordinator, PO Box 176, Astoria, OR 97103
- - In person: Astoria-Warrenton Area Chamber of Commerce, 111 West Marine Dr., Astoria, OR 97103
ORIENTATION IS FOR PACKET PICK UP VOLUNTEERS ONLY.
We host a volunteer orientation for new and returning Packet Pick Up volunteers on the Wednesday prior the event. During the orientation, Chamber staff members will train you on how to use our participant check-in system and help answer any questions you might have about your volunteering role.
- - Who: New & returning Packet Pick-Up volunteers
- - What: Volunteer Orientation
- - Where: Astoria-Warrenton Area Chamber of Commerce (Admin Building), 111 W. Marine Drive, Astoria
- - When: Wednesday, October 11 – 12:00 p.m. OR 5:00 p.m. (same information presented each time)
- - Why: To provide information about your volunteering shift
- - Wear comfortable shoes – Many of the volunteer roles require being on your feet some or most of the time.
- - Dress for the outdoors – We've seen all different kinds of weather at the Great Columbia Crossing over the years. So our motto is, be prepared! Check the forecast ahead of time and wear layers of clothing to ensure you'll be ready for cold, wet or nice weather.
- - Eat before your shift – There’s not always time for a snack break during your volunteer shift, so fill up your tummy ahead of time.
- - Check in – If your shift is at the Dismal Nitch Rest Area on race day, please check in with Regina Willkie. If your shift is at the Port of Astoria on race day, please check in with Kelsey Balensifer.
- - Smile!
Perks of Being a Volunteer
We genuinely appreciate each and every person who volunteers at our 10k. More information on perks will be posted as we get closer to the event.
Have questions? Email the Event Coordinator or call 503-325-6311.